Based on the knowledge and interests of each student, individual curriculums are developed and work is constructed to shape musical ideas in different genres and styles: melodic development, harmony, form, instrumentation, home recording, score editing, etc.
Starting from a theme or a song (melody and chords), the concepts and techniques are studied to develop an arrangement for any instrumental formation (rock band, big band, string quartet, symphony orchestra, etc.) depending on the genre or style. (rock, pop, indie, jazz, blues, etc.): instrumentation, form, reharmonization, composition of introductions, interludes, endings, countermelodies, etc.
There are also programs for editing scores, midi and audio (finale, musescore, cubase, reaper) to be able to record and make models of each students arrangements.
Depending on each students level, we cover the following topics.
Basic Music Theory:
– notes, scales, intervals and chords, how music works and why it sounds good/bad.
– chords progressions, melodies creations, drums patterns creations, song structures and analysis of music examples in the style of preference.
Soundtrack Scoring (ADVANCED):
– the basics of the music for picture, scored film scenes analysis, advance orchestral arrangement.
*Strong fundamentals of music theory and music composition required.
– software tutoring (overview to advanced level), working with presets, basic arrangement and mixing.
Advanced Production and Mixing:
– sound editing, mixing basic tools (EQ, compressor, reverb, stereo panning devices), FX (modulation fx, distortion fx, MIDI fx).
– basics of sound design (oscillators, filters, LFOs and routing), sound synthesis (subtractive, FM and Wavetable synthesis).
The software we work with, are:
Finale (Macintosh, Microsoft) – scoring, arranging
NI Kontakt libraries (plug-in) – scoring, arranging
Logic Pro X (Macintosh) – production, mixing, sound editing, sound design
Ableton Live 10 (Macintosh, Microsoft) – production, mixing, sound editing, sound design
FL Studio (Macintosh, Microsoft) – production, mixing, sound editing, sound design
Massive (plug-in wavetable synth) – sound design
FM8 (plug-in FM synth) – sound design